Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Book Review: The Forest of Hands and Teeth (and contest winner)

I really loved THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. I had heard good things, but I also heard that it was "awful". I assure you it was most definitely NOT awful. I could not put it down. I was sucked in from the beginning. There were some things that annoyed me, though I think they were supposed to. The Sisterhood is a group of women who serve God and set the rules. The Guardians enforce the rules. And Mary, our MC, is a headstrong girl who believes things she shouldn't. Stories her mother tells from generations ago about life before the Unconsecrated, aka zombies. Stories of a vast ocean and buildings as high as the sky.

I felt really connected with Mary. I've always been the different one. The one who believes and thinks differently. I don't know that I would have had her courage, but I certainly hope I would. The story was sad, but then again, it's about people who are living the only life they can in a world over-run with zombies. There's violence, death, and sadness. Be prepared for tears.

Definitely can't wait for THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES.



Synopsis:

In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future - between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

*
*
*
*
*
*
*

As per the changes for this giveaway, there will be two winners. Winner 1 gets first choice. Winner 2 get the other. The choice is between a paperback of THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH signed by Carrie Ryan and swag and THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES (not signed) and swag.

Winner 1: twistedfates
Winner 2: Chloe

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yay! I won!

Since I have Forest of Hands and Teeth I'll let the other person get the signed copy and I'll take Dead-Tossed Waves.

Thanks!
Lovely review btw. ^_^

Post a Comment