Monday, August 29, 2011

Book Review: Tithe

What belongs to you but others use it more than you do?

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces the sixteen-year-old back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms -- a struggle that could very well mean her death.

Newcomer Holly Black's enormously powerful voice weaves teen angst, riveting romance, and capriciously diabolical faerie folk into an enthralling, engaging, altogether original reading experience.

Tithe by Holly Black tells the story of Kaye, a teenage girl who has always been different. She grew up having three imaginary friends: Spike, Gristle, and Lutie-Loo. Only they weren’t imaginary. They’re faeries. Not the sweet, cute little faeries that you see in children’s fairy tales. But real faeries. Scary faeries.

When Kaye meets another faery, Roiben, she saves his life, thus earning the knowledge that is his real name. And she is pulled deeper into this dangerous world. She finds herself in the middle of a faery war, between two powerful courts: Seelie and Unseelie. And it becomes her job to save a human from being sacrificed to the Unseelie court.

This was my first YA faery book, and I read it for the first time about four years ago. To be honest, I had a bit of trouble getting into it. It’s a bit grittier than what I’m used to. I didn’t really relate to Kaye. But I enjoyed Corny and Kaye’s friendship with him. I wasn’t a huge fan of Roiben either. Regardless, I quite enjoyed this novel. The bizarre world of faery is certainly intriguing, and Holly Black did an amazing job of describing it. I absolutely adored Lutie-Loo. And I have to say my favorite scene was the part on the carousel.

If you haven’t read Tithe, what are you waiting for?

1 comments:

Tia said...

I've heard a lot about this book but, I just haven't read it yet. Great review! New follower!

Tia @ Falling For Books

Post a Comment