Tuesday, August 10, 2010

ARC Review: Clockwork Angel

I scored a copy of CLOCKWORK ANGEL at ALA. If you were there and didn't see them, that's because they were sneaky. You had to request one. I was surprised to get mine at the end of Sunday, but a lot of people didn't know where they were because the company wanted them only to go to people who were really wanting it.

I finally got to it, after a lag in reading and a few other things I needed to finish first. I can't believe I put this one off for anything. While I really enjoyed The Mortal Instruments books 1-3, I loved this one. The story was just as interesting, but with twists that you don't see coming. Cassandra Clare's writing has improved with each book, as well as her story-telling. I love when you get blind-sided at the end when you think you have it all figured out, and then you are so wrong. Of course, truth be told, I tend to miss obvious pieces in books.

Another reason I think I enjoyed this one more was the characters. While all of Cassie's books have been ensemble pieces, Clary was definitely a main character in TMI series, as Tessa is in this one. I was never really a fan of Clary (or Jace), which I know is not the popular opinion, but I loved Tessa. She was a really great character. And I'm definitely Team Jem. There were so many other characters in this book that I really enjoyed, and hope we get to see more of in the next two books: Charlotte, Henry, and Sophie among them.

This book should definitely not be missed. If you're a fan of The Mortal Instruments, you'll be a fan of The Infernal Devices. Pre-order it now on Amazon for almost half the price.

And... while we're on topic of The Mortal Instruments, and in case you hadn't heard, there will be three more books in the series. CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS will not be the last. Here's when to look for more fabulous books by Cassandra Clare:

August 31, 2010: The Clockwork Angel
April 5, 2011: City of Fallen Angels
September 2011: The Clockwork Prince
May 2012: City of Lost Souls
December 2012: The Clockwork Princess
September 2013: City of Heavenly Fire

And don't forget to check Cassie's LJ for more details --------> http://cassandraclare.livejournal.com/


Synopsis:

Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

1 comments:

Sandy said...

I would be done with this book right now if work didn't keep getting in the way, I am so surprised by how great it is and I just want to sit down and read it straight through but ugh I can't. This is my first Cassandra Clare read, I've avoided her Mortal Instrument series because of the mixed reviews I've read but this one I won (or chose to win) and I am loving it. Tessa is a great MC and I am with you on preferring Jem over Will. I want to wait until I finished the book before I firmly choose which guy I like more but Jem is really making that hard to do.

If Clockwork Princess ARCs are going to be at BEA this year I wonder if the publishers are going to be sneaky there too. I'll make sure to track them down and not leave anything to chance.

Post a Comment