Friday, February 11, 2011

Book Review: Pretty Souls

I was asked to read and review an arc of Pretty Souls by Julie Particka. I read a lot of urban fantasy, so I wasn’t sure what to think of this one. The main character, Elle, is a werewolf. Her foster sister, Cass, is half-vampire. I admit I was a bit wary picking it up because I had high hopes for it. I’ve been an acquaintance of the author for almost a year, and I wanted to really like it. And I was worried it would be just another YA urban fantasy that wouldn’t leave much of an impression.

I’m pleased to say that it isn’t just another YA urban fantasy. I really enjoyed this book Elle lost her family and became a werewolf, changing her world forever. Years later she finds herself in foster care with a vampire. Cass and Elle have a great relationship. They really are sisters. They love each other unconditionally. But… they don’t always get along. Enter Jaxson aka Jax. *swoon* I fell in love with him instantly. Didn’t mean I trusted him, though.

One thing that disappoints me more than anything else is when you see the end way up at the beginning of the book. There’s a lot of mystery in Pretty Souls, and Julie does a fabulous job of not letting you figure it out. I was pretty much on the same page as Elle the entire way through, so that when the mystery was revealed… I was shocked. And I LOVE that! That doesn’t happen enough, in my opinion.

Now where is book 2? Seriously… I need it now, Julie!


You can visit Julie on her website at JulieParticka.com and you can bug her on Twitter here.



Synopsis:

Elle hasn’t been afraid of the things that go bump in the night since she became a werewolf. She'd happily give up her inner monster to get her family back though. Hell, she'd give up the beast for nothing. Of course her foster sister doesn't get it. After all, she doesn't battle with her own darker half, but vampire blood can do that to a person. 

Their nightly patrols have become more habit than necessity—until a demon spawn comes to town, ripping souls from strangers, enemies, and friends alike. When it threatens her foster mom, Elle's peaceful life is shattered, but she's not going to give up without a fight. Fighting the beast for control at the same time is more than she can handle though. Armed with more attitude than experience, Elle and her sister have to track down the demon spawn before it collects enough souls to fulfill its birthright and open a doorway to hell. 

For the first time in years, Elle is scared. She's willing to lose herself in the beast if that's what it takes, but saving the world could cost her soul.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

This sounds good! I havent read too many books about werewolfs!
Happy Reading!

Catie S (Book Bound) said...

You definitely have me curious. Your description catches my attention better than the synopsis does.

Post a Comment