Thursday, February 10, 2011

Book Review: Darkest Mercy

I got a chance to read an ARC of Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr months ago. The Wicked Lovely series is without a doubt one of my favorite series. So when this book came in the mail, I hugged it, and then I had dinner with it sitting next to me, and then I dove in. I was excited and afraid. I devoured the book in one evening, staying up late to finish. I didn't want to finish, but I didn't want to put it down. I needed to know how it all ended.

This is quite possibly the hardest review I've ever had to write. I want to just gush and gush and gush. Because I thought it was absolutely amazing. But I'm really trying to stay away from the fangirling as a general rule. When I'm reading a book that is part of a favorite series, I find I have higher hopes than I do for other books. So I'm always nervous. But this being the final book in the series caused me to be extra nervous. Of course, once I dove in all nerves ran away with my eyes glued to the page.

The Wicked Lovely community is the one place I hang around online the most, so I'm worried about saying too much. Too many people who haven't read it know what I wanted to happen. Some of it did happen. Other things didn't. There was some disappointment when things didn't go the way I wanted, but I have to admit... the choices Melissa made, the way she took the story made more sense than some of the things I wanted. I am more than pleased with the final book in the series. 

If you've read the four first books in the series, you know what's coming. You knew there would be deaths and sadness. But I actually didn't cry during the book. One part shocked me so much I had to put the book down and walk away for a few minutes. It wasn't one of the sad parts, though. But once it was over... when I finished the epilogue, I cried. I put the book down and cried. Because it was amazing. Because one of my favorite series is over. Because I ate it all up in a few hours instead of savoring it over the course of a few days.

Despite the fact that I've read the book, February 22 is still bittersweet. That's the day this book hits the shelves. And it's not really the end. I still have the third manga, Resolve. I still have the short stories that are set to come out digitally, and then in an anthology spring 2012. 

I can in no way be disappointed. This series ended on a high note. Is there more story? Yeah... there could be. But I have to commend Melissa on ending it where she did. Nothing is worse than seeing a series so drawn out that no end is in sight and the writing/story grows boring and monotonous. I really can't put into words how much I love this series and this book in particular. I'm pretty sure it's my new favorite of series. 

So... if you haven't read this series, you have just enough time to read Wicked Lovely, Ink Exchange, Fragile Eternity, and Radiant Shadows before Darkest Mercy hits the shelves.

Thank you, Melissa, for writing this amazing series. It's been such an important part of my life, I can't even say. 



Synopsis:

The Summer King is missing; the Dark Court is bleeding; and a stranger walks the streets of Huntsdale, his presence signifying the deaths of powerful fey.

Aislinn tends to the Summer Court, searching for her absent king and yearning for Seth. Torn between his new queen and his old love, Keenan works from afar to strengthen his court against the coming war. Donia longs for fiery passion even as she coolly readies the Winter Court for battle. And Seth, sworn brother of the Dark King and heir to the High Queen, is about to make a mistake that could cost his life.

Love, despair, and betrayal ignite the Faery Courts, and in the final conflict, some will win . . . and some will lose everything.

The thrilling conclusion to Melissa Marr's New York Times bestselling Wicked Lovely series will leave readers breathless.

6 comments:

Jessi E. said...

Thanks for a review that I can read even though I haven't read the book yet! I was trying to get my hands on an ARC, but I decided to forget about that and pre-ordered an eBook so that I can have it as soon as it's released! It's coming up! :) Woo hoo!

Catie S (Book Bound) said...

This is a truly amazing end to the series.

Not everything goes how you want or expect, but it all fits. I couldn't imagine it being any other way.

I cried. Just a little bit once, & once so bad that I had to put the book down for a half hour before I could go back to reading.

Great review!

~Mallary~ said...

Loved your review! I absolutely can't wait to read this!!

Karen said...

I loved it too. After all the crappy series enders out there Melissa really hit it out of the park.

Sandy said...

I can't wait to read this ^_^.

Midnyte Reader said...

I'm glad you bought it dinner first before you read it.

I haven't read the first ones yet. : ( I hope to get to it.

Post a Comment