Sunday, May 30, 2010

Book Review: Sunshine

I was curious about SUNSHINE by Robin McKinley after hearing several great reviews. And when I picked it up I found a blurb from the fabulous Melissa Marr. I have several of Robin McKinley's books on my TBR, but this is the first one I've read.


There were so many things about it that I loved. Constantine, being the first. The world that Robin created has some similarities, but also many differences from so many urban fantasy worlds. Vampires, weres, spellcasters, part demons, and more... And the humans know about them. Unfortunately, if you are one, life isn't easy.


Sunshine, whose real name is Rae Seddon, knows she isn't just a regular human, but she keeps that a secret until she needs to use her power to save her life. Constantine, an old vampire, needs her help. And an unusual alliance begins. The problem... the only Other race that is completely unacceptable is the vampire.


Even if you are burnt out on vampires, pick this one up anyway.



Synopsis:



They took her clothes and sneakers. They dressed her in a long red gown. And they shackled her to the wall of an abandoned mansion - within easy reach of a figure stirring in the moonlight.


She knows that it is a vampire.


She knows that she's to be his dinner, and that when he is finished with her, she will be dead. Yet, when light breaks, she finds that he has not attempted to harm her. And now it is he who needs her to help him survive the day.


Though the main character is about 25, it was recently republished in the YA section. You'll find it with the cover you see below.






4 comments:

Bookie said...

I was just thinking about reading this book. It's been in my TBR pile for awhile now. It has received a lot of good reviews so I need to tackle it soon.

Misty said...

I ADORE this book. It's weird, because I have issues with McKinley's grammar and structure (always) and it can be very slow and repetitive, but I still love it so much. I really connected to Sunshine, and it's very cerebral for a vamp book. I nominated it for my bookclub, and we just read it this past month, and though there were some dissenters, for the most part everyone agreed. It's definitely one of those books that will stay with you. Excellent world building.

Beverly said...

I picked this one up once and couldn't get into it. I love your review - I am going to go get it and try again. Thanks!

Name: Aine said...

It had some slow parts, and it took me a long time to read it. It wasn't as fast-paced and exciting as I normally prefer. But it was still a fantastic read.

Post a Comment