Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Book Review: Morganville 1-5

I've read the first five books of the Morganville Vampire series: GLASS HOUSES, THE DEAD GIRLS' DANCE, MIDNIGHT ALLEY, FEAST OF FOOLS, and LORD OF MISRULE. The series progresses where one book picks up right after the one before leaves off. While the series is well-written, it's not my favorite vampire series. The mythology behind the town is neat. Some people know about vampires, others don't. Once you leave, even if you knew about the vamps, all that fades from memory. It's how they're able to stay safe in that town... not that safe is really the correct term.

I'm not a huge fan of Claire, our MC. I was Team Shane, but am now firmly Team Michael. Also, I love Eve, Amelie, and Myrnin. Myrnin is one of the most interesting characters in any vampire book/series, I've read. Is he crazy? Possibly. Maybe only sometimes.

I enjoyed the first book and the second more. I really liked the third one, as well. Things get more complicated, and, of course, more interesting. The fourth and fifth were only okay for me. I hope they pick back up. I want to like them more than I am.

If you aren't burnt out on vampire books, these are pretty good. They definitely have some interesting differences than your typical vamp book.

Synopsis:

Welcome to Morganville, Texas.

Just don't stay out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the schools social scene: somewhere less than zero.

When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, But they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry fresh blood.


Synopsis:

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.

Synopsis:
Claire Danvers' college town may be run by vampires but a truce between the living and the dead made things relatively safe. For a while. Now people are turning up dead, a psycho is stalking her, and an ancient bloodsucker has proposed a private mentoring. To what end, Claire will find out. And it's giving night school a whole new meaning.

Synopsis:
The wait is over. Dig into the feast...
In the town of Morganville, vampires and humans live in relative peace. Student Claire Danvers has never been convinced though -- especially with the arrival of Mr. Bishop, an ancient, old-school vampire who cares nothing about harmony. What he wants from the town's living and its dead is unthinkably sinister. It's only at a formal ball, attended by vampires and their human dates, that Claire realizes the elaborately evil trap he's set for Morganville.

Synopsis:
In the college town of Morganville, vampires and humans coexist in (relatively) bloodless harmony. Then comes Bishop, the master vampire who threatens to abolish all order, revive the forces of the evil dead, and let chaos rule. But Bishop isn't the only threat.
Violent black cyclone clouds hover, promising a storm of devastating proportions as student Claire Danvers and her friends prepare to defend Morganville against elements both natural and unnatural.






3 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't read these yet, but I have been wanting to!

Unknown said...

I have most of the series but have yet found the time to get lost in that world. I hope I can soon. It's sad that they're not super awesome but I'm still very very curious ;)

Name: Aine said...

I have friends who think they're super awesome. So don't take my word as truth. It's just an opinion.

A good friend liked 3 best of the first 5, and so did I. She also says book 6 is fantastic, so I'm looking forward to that.

Post a Comment