Saturday, January 16, 2010

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


My new favorite book! Beautiful Creatures by debut authors Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, book one in the Caster Chronicles, is a paranormal romance that takes place in the south. It is filled with mysterious characters, some evil and others charming. It is written through Ethan's POV. Which is different because I haven't read a lot of books from a first person, male POV. And I love Ethan. He is such a sweet guy. Perfect, yet believable. And his love interest, Lena. You root for them right from the start. Link, Amma, and Macon help make the ensemble one of my favorites.

I highly recommend this amazing southern gothic YA. I didn't know there was going to be more until I was in the middle of the book and recently found out there will be five books. I can't wait for the next one: Beautiful Darkness.

And something I wanted to share: this book was started and finished on a dare from the authors' teenagers. Thanks to those teens as well as Kami and Margaret.

0 comments:

Post a Comment