Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Book Review: Everblue

She wanted her life to change... he wanted his to stay the same.

Best friends share everything with each other. Or do they? Seventeen-year-old Ashlyn Frances Lanski is tired of her boring, single life. Spending time with her best friend Tatiana, dreaming about kissing Tatiana's twin brother Fin, and swimming competitively are her only sanctuary. The girls plan to leave their drab lakeside town far behind for college. But when Tatchi fails to return home after a family emergency, and no one knows where the family has gone, Ash chooses to do something drastic to find them.

Ashlyn is about to discover what she'd thought to be true her whole life, wasn't, and the truth, too fantastical to imagine. Secrets lurk beneath the deep blue waters of Lake Tahoe, secrets that will change Ashlyn's life forever.


Everblueis the first book I've read by Brenda Pandos, and it won't be the last. And that's not just because the sequel, Evergreen, comes out this summer. I'm definitely going to check out her vampire series. Everblue tells the story of Ashlyn, a high school senior and champion of her swim team, and Finley, the smexy merman next door. While Ash has a crush on Fin, it's awkward, because Fin's twin sister (Tatiana) is Ashlyn's best friend.

Ashlyn doesn't know her bff's biggest secret: that her and her family are merpeople. And one night, they disappear. They travel to their homeland of Natatoria, per the king's request. This story switches points of view. Ashlyn is just a normal teen girl, struggling through school and worrying about Tatiana's family, and their mysterious disappearance. And then there's Finley, who is trying to deal with being underwater 24/7 and missing Ash.

This story started off a bit slow, but it was wonderfully told. I think it would be amazing to live the life of a mermaid, and Natatoria is the first place I'd visit. The visuals Brenda Pandos created were wonderful. I liked many of the characters and hated the ones I was supposed to. Ash and Fin were adorable together, and I can't wait to read book two. Be sure to check out this light-hearted, fun mermaid romance. And with an ebook price of $2.99 how can you pass that up? Get a copy of Everbluefor your Kindle.

3 comments:

Kari said...

That looks good. I think I'll add it to my TBR list. I feel like I've been adding so many mermaid books lately! Hahah

Great review :)

Catie S (Book Bound) said...

That sounds like an amazing story!

Sandy said...

I can't get this book for my kindle (and not just because it's dead) have you seen that cover? That cover deserves to be on my shelf, to be hugged, and stared at longingly. Ok enough with my creepiness, I am happy to hear this seems to be a good read. I have a bunch of mermaid books on my TBR but have yet to actually read one besides The Little Mermaid :P

Post a Comment