Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Book Review: The Calling

Maya Delaney’s paw-print birthmark is the sign of what she truly is—a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly anyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it’s only a matter of time before she’s able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.

Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they’re kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home. Plentiful action and romance in this second installment in the Darkness Rising series will keep readers enthralled to the very last page!


I love everything I've ever read by Kelley Armstrong, and The Calling is no different. I will honestly be surprised if I ever read anything of hers that I don't love. This one picked up right where The Gathering left off. Maya, Daniel, Hayley, Nicole, Sam, and Corey are on a helicopter being taken away from their home town as flames engulf the area. We know some of them are supernaturals, and our main character knows there's a reason the six of them are on this chopper. And the reason isn't good. None of the adults can be trusted.

They fight to escape the bad guys and find the truth about who they are. But who are the bad guys? The St. Clouds? The Nasts? They can't even trust some of their parents. Like Kelley's other YA books, and The Women of the Otherworld series (adult books set in the same world), this story is a non-stop ride, full of action and adventure, mystery and suspense. We're reading through Maya's eyes, so like this skinwalker, we aren't sure who to trust or where to turn next. The twists and turns just keep coming. There are still many questions left unanswered and new problems have arisen.

I'm very excited to read The Rising, the conclusion to the Darkness Rising trilogy. And I'm even more excited to see Maya and Chloe's groups meet up. If you haven't read anything by Kelley Armstrong, you are seriously missing out. In addition to The Darkest Power and the Darkness Rising trilogies, she has short stories in The Eternal Kiss, Kisses From Hell, and Enthralled. Trust me, you won't regret it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This series sounds awesome! :) I just started reading Kelly Armstrong's books! Great review! :)

Karen said...

I need to catch up on this one. I'm falling a bit behind on my Kelley Armstrong reading!

Midnyte Reader said...

I've never read Kelly Armstrong and I'll have to remedy that. Very nice review, you've convinced me!

Sandy said...

I am so envious of your ARC napping abilities, this is definitely one of the top books I want to read this year. I have preordered the book but it turns out I might be out of my country by the time it arrives in the mail at home..gah!

Post a Comment