Sunday, January 1, 2012

2011: A Year in Review

This year was a big year. I grew a bit more serious about reviewing books on my blog. I've been networking with authors and publishers. And I'm really excited about the results. I also recently started a Tumblr.

I read many incredible books this year. It's impossible to pick one favorite. But a few that stood out...

I loved everything I read by Melissa Marr, Kelley Armstrong, Holly Black, Kim Harrison, Cassandra Clare, Rachel Vincent, and Maggie Stiefvater. But that wasn't much of a surprise. I've been a fan of theirs for years. Melissa released her first adult novel this year with Graveminder. I might even like it more than her faeries. Speaking of faeries, Maggie's The Scorpio Races was amazing. Another book that might've topped my old favorite of hers.

I started a couple of new series this year. Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready had been on my shelf since it came out. I finally picked it up, and I loved it. Shift and Shine will definitely be high up on my 2012 tbr pile. I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore was a fun, fast read, and I'm eager to continue the series. Ash by Malinda Lo was a fantastic retelling of Cinderella. I can't wait to read Huntress. Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey was an incredible debut.

An old trilogy I picked up was The Secret Circle by L. J. Smith, originally published in the 90's. I picked it up before the show premiered. And while I enjoy both, they are very different.

I also read a couple of stand-alone novels. Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr was beautifully written. I've not been disappointed by any of her books. And How to Save a Life was even more incredible. She's definitely one of my favorite YA contemporary authors. I came across a used library copy of the out-of-print The Selchie's Seed by Shulamith Oppenheim. It's very short, and I had to force myself to put it down and make it last more than one sitting. It was beautiful. Definitely one I'll be rereading this coming year.

I've been trying to read more middle grade fiction since I have so much of it on my shelf. I really enjoyed Priscilla the Great by Sybil Nelson and A Girl Named Willow Krimble by Guiseppe Bianco. The latter was originally published as a freebie online and later self published in book and ebook format. I read it in two sittings. I read the first half, and then put it down. But then picked it back up thirty minutes later and finished it out. Another wonderful MG book was The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

I'm not big on the classics, but I did finish Through the Looking-Glass this year, and I'm still making my way through the Narnia series. I plan to finish the last two in 2012 as well as read The Wind in the Willows.

This was a big year for manga and graphic novels. I continue to be a huge fan of Bill Willingham's Fables series. I discovered a YA line of graphic novels called Minx and have enjoyed several of their titles, including Clubbing, Emiko Superstar, and The Plain Janes. I read all 8 volumes of Chobits by Clamp. I loved that series and plan to read their Cardcaptor Sakura series in 2012, as well as xXxHoLic. I'm also excited about rereading the rereleases of Sailor Moon. Other manga I fell I love with in 2011 was Kuroshitsuji, aka Black Butler.

And now for the giveaway! I'm giving away a copy of one of my favorite 2011 reads, A Girl Named Willow Krimble by Guiseppe Bianco. Trust me, you want to read this one.

To enter:
1. Follow this blog using GFC.
2. You must be 13 or older. (Since this book is MG, everyone ages 9-12 may be entered, but please have a parent do it for you.)
3. Open internationally.
4. Please fill out this form.

So... those were my favorite books of 2011. What were yours?

3 comments:

Midnyte Reader said...

We have a lot of the same taste and then also you've mentioned a lot of books I haven't heard of. I need to get to Graveminder and Cassie Clare's books!

Karen said...

Love the variety of your choices. I need to get back to more diverse reading so I don't fall into as many slumps.

Sandy said...

Mine were -looks at list-

The Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld, all three books.
If I Stay by Gayle Foreman
The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan
Paranormalcy, Priscilla the Great, and a few others.

Post a Comment