Friday, June 4, 2010

Manga Review: Bride of the Water God

I had been interested in reading the BRIDE OF THE WATER GOD Korean manga series by Mi-Kyung Yun. The art caught my eye, as well as the title. As a fan of mythology and folklore, once I heard the words "water god" I had to check it out.

So today, I picked up volume one. I devoured it. I was disappointed that volume 2 was not in stock, but I decided to scour the shelves to see if it was misplaced. It was! So I read volume 2. But that was it.


Synopsis:

When Soah's impoverished, desperate village decides to sacrifice her to the Water God Habaek to end a long drought, they believe that drowning one beautiful girl will save their entire community and bring much-needed rain. Not only is Soah surprised to be rescued by the Water God - instead of killed - she never imagined she'd be a welcomed guest in Habaek's magical kingdom, where an exciting new life awaits her! Most surprising, however, is the Water God himself... and how very different he is from the monster Soah imagined.

So... disappointed, I left Borders in DC to go to the one in Germantown. And woot! They had all five. I grabbed volumes 3, 4, and 5 in one hand and went to read. I got through all three in less than an hour.


I don't usually like to read entire books in a book store, and I only ever do it with manga or graphic novels. And I read them so fast that I barely got to enjoy the art. So...


I do plan to buy them all and read them again, slowly, letting my eyes savor the beautiful images within. Sadly, I can't really gush about what happened, so as not to spoil you. Let me know if you've read any of these and what you thought about them.


Volume 6 comes out this September, and it'll be the first volume with a title: THE MASK RETURNS.







3 comments:

Cam said...

Oooo....not a manga fan typically but I might have to check that out.

Sandy said...

Well the art IS gorgeous. I do love gorgeous detailed art. Ok you convinced me I'll give it another try :)

Karen said...

I'm not a fan of manga but those covers are just stunning! OMG
I want to frame hang them up around my house!!

Post a Comment