Monday, August 6, 2012

Book Review: Before I Wake

I died on a Thursday-
killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul.
The good news? He didn't get it.
The bad news?
Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...

Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life....
I've been a fan of Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series since there was only one book. And it's been one of my favorite series these past few years. If I Die was so amazing, I was worried that Before I Wake could not live up to my high expectations. Except... it did! It was so amazing that I'm not sure how the final book will top it, but I have faith that Rachel Vincent can manage it.

In the last book, our main character died. But we know that death isn't the end in this world. She and Tod must work together, along with Nash, Sabine, Emma, new character Luca, and Kaylee's cousin Sophie to solve another supernatural mystery and defeat the hellion that won't give up until he has Kaylee's soul. Avari and his hellion friends have found a way to do something that until now has been impossible, but Kaylee isn't giving up.

I can't tell you how much I loved this book without spoilering you all. I love Tod, and I love that he's with Kaylee. I'm still not loving Nash, but I really enjoy Sabine's scenes. Sophie's character has gotten more interesting as the story has progressed, and I can't wait to see where Rachel takes this fabulous series. With All My Soul is set to come out next April and will conclude the series with seven books. My fingers are crossed for another short story or novella to pop up some time between now and then. If you haven't read these books, what are you waiting for?

0 comments:

Post a Comment