Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Book Review: Luna

If you have yet to read LUNA by Julie Anne Peters, you need to grab this one asap. It is one of the best books I've read in 2010. And the sad thing... it sat on my shelf for a few years. I decided to pick it up when a friend of mine started reading it.

It's about a brother and sister, Liam and Regan. Only... Liam isn't a boy. Not really. Her name is Luna, and she was born in a boy's body. Transgender. And this is the story about her coming out and becoming her true self. Though it is told from the sister, Regan's POV, I still got a good sense of Liam/Luna's situation, feelings, wants, needs, etc...

This story was beautifully told with a good mix of comedy that kept me from crying the entire time. Underneath Luna's "coming out" is Regan, trying to live a normal life, despite her families dysfunctions. She falls for a boy, and their romance is enjoyable, heartwarming, and quite funny. That intersperses with Liam's difficulties at becoming Luna and flashbacks which clearly show Luna for who she is even at a young age.

I have a friend who is going through the same thing as Liam/Luna and another friend with a different situation but has similar difficulties. Reading this book has helped me see a bit better what they have to go through. And I can honestly say that it isn't fair. The fact that it is almost 2011 and there are still people who are not tolerable of those who are different. I really hope that this book will open eyes to those who can't accept others' differences because the person inside is more than just what you see.

I really can't tell you how much I like this book without fangirling, so go pick it up and see for yourself.





Synopsis:


Regan's brother Liam can't stand the person he is during the day. Like the moon from whom Liam has chosen his female namesake, his true self, Luna, only reveals herself at night. In the secrecy of his basement bedroom Liam transforms himself into the beautiful girl he longs to be, with help from his sister's clothes and makeup. Now, everything is about to change-Luna is preparing to emerge from her cocoon. But are Liam's family and friends ready to welcome Luna into their lives? Compelling and provocative, this is an unforgettable novel about a transgender teen's struggle for self-identity and acceptance.

2 comments:

Kat said...

I've read a couple of Julie Anne Peters' books-- Keeping You a Secret and Far From Xanadu. She really is such an amazing writer, and one of the few YA authors today who gives gay, lesbian, and transgender love stories the brilliance they deserve. Thanks for the review-- I'm definitely going to check this one out. :)

Ashley said...

I've been thinking about reading this one for a while. My BS is in Psychology, and one of my classes talked about this topic. I have no idea how I would deal with something like that and am seriously grateful that I will never need to know. It would be interesting to see how it's handled here.

Post a Comment