Monday, May 14, 2012

Book Review: Shift

Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.

Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.

As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.

I read Shadeby Jeri Smith-Ready at the end of last year, and I held off on Shiftuntil closer to the Shinerelease. I liked Shade a lot, but I liked Shift even more!

Shift picked up right where Shade left off. Logan died and turned shade in front of so many people who had come to watch his send off into the light. And after he turned shade, he disappeared. His girlfriend, Aura, is waiting for him to return, hoping to help him turn back into a ghost.

Aura is the first. The first child born with the gift of seeing ghosts. Zachary is the last. The last child born before Aura. Ghosts flock to Aura while Zachary scares them away. And the two of them are investigating the "shift". Why did it happen? How did it happen? Meanwhile, others are investigating it as well, and it means that Aura and Zachary aren't necessarily safe.

I love the romance between Aura and Zachary. I'm not much of a Logan fan. He is the "bad boy" in the (semi) triangle. I understand that he loves Aura and wants to be with her, but sometimes I find him just plain selfish. He died. He's a ghost. How can he expect Aura to want to be with him? So I completely get Zachary's frustration. And Zachary is simply swoon-worthy with his kilt and his accent. So I sometimes find myself frustrated by Aura. How can she not be all about Zachary? Jeri's writing is fantastic. She sucks you in early and keeps you interested. Story-wise... as much as I loved this book, there were a few aspects that bothered me. I actually had to remind myself that this is a paranormal book, and anything can happen. Even if it doesn't follow the conventional paranormal rules. Despite the parts that bugged me, I really enjoyed this book. I'm very excited to pick up Shine soon.

1 comments:

Midnyte Reader said...

I really liked Shade and I'm so glad that you liked Shift even more. I can't wait! You are right, Jeri's writing does suck you in. I'm looking forward to finding out some answers from Shade.

Post a Comment