Monday, September 20, 2010

Book Review: Such a Pretty Girl

I was in Borders the other day - I spend more time there than anywhere else - and SUCH A PRETTY GIRL by Laura Wiess caught my eye. To be honest, the title caught my eye more than the cover. I could guess what it was about by the title alone. I decided to read a chapter or two in the store and next thing I know, I'm a third of the way into the novel. Of course, I couldn't leave it there, so I took it home and finished it that night.

It was amazing... in a horrifying way. Meredith is 15, and her father is getting out of jail six years early. He had gone to jail because he raped a number of kids, including his own daughter. While he was not allowed to live in her home, her mother got him a place as close as possible. And she was not to be left alone with her, but her mother did. Meredith's mother chose to side with her husband, a man who raped her daughter.

It was a heart-breaking, powerful story. The thing about this book that makes it so sad is that there are girls who aren't safe in their own homes, as Meredith wasn't safe. This happens way too often in society. It's a hard story to read, but the writing is amazing, and I highly recommend this one.

You can read a preview of it here.



Synopsis:

They promised Meredith nine years of safety, but only gave her three.
Her father was supposed to be locked up until Meredith turned eighteen. She thought she had time to grow up, get out, and start a new life. But Meredith is only fifteen, and today her father is coming home from prison.
Today her time has run out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh this sounds so sad, but still very interesting.

Sandy said...

Oh wow I can see this making me cry probably not something I could read right now but I'll add it to the TBR list.

Autumn said...

Looks interesting...I'll make sure to check it out. Thanks for pointing it out.

Post a Comment